Reference: Senior Business Manager – Technology Transfer
Salary: Dependant on qualifications and experience
Location: MRC Technology (London)
MRC Technology (MRCT) is an independent life science medical research charity committed to drastically improving positive patient outcomes everywhere. As a champion for human health, MRCT partners with academic, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and charity organisations to translate promising medical research into significant new treatments for patients.
Our Technology Transfer division (TT) collaborates with and provides services to a range of clients including charities worldwide, academic research institutes, the Medical Research Council (MRC) and MRCT’s own in-house research and development functions: its Centre for Therapeutics Discovery (CTD) and Centre for Diagnostic Development (CDD) which develop potential new drugs and diagnostics respectively in collaboration with its academic and industry partners.
The purpose of this role is to support internal and external clients to identify protectable IP with potential for translation, manage the IP protection process, and ultimately market and commercialisation. The role will also involve undertaking IP portfolio audits and providing advice on commercialisation strategies for the charity sector, as well as working with internal project teams to develop MRCT’s drug discovery projects to a point at which they are ready for partnering with industry.
The Senior Business Manager will have line management responsibilities and will be expected to develop and manage the performance of a small team of Business Managers.
The successful candidate will ideally:
- be qualified to PhD level (or have equivalent experience) in a relevant scientific subject
- have the ability to quickly grasp new scientific concepts and technologies and to identify where there may be commercial potential, how this could best be realised and experience of partnering and commercialising such technology
- have in-depth knowledge of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process and of the commercial landscape of the pharmaceutical industry
- preferably, have line management experience, preferably of technology transfer, patent or business development professionals
- have a proven record of high level commercial thinking with experience of shaping and implementing a complex business strategy
- have the ability to communicate orally and in writing, effectively and credibly with a range of stakeholders, including scientists, industry and with colleagues
- have experience of IP management in an academic or commercial environment which should include identification, due diligence, and protection of IP
- have a successful track record of handling commercial negotiations
- have project management experience including the ability to manage and progress multiple projects efficiently
- have the ability to work independently and proactively, but also as part of teams where there may be multiple expectations and drivers.
Your salary will be determined by qualifications and experience. In addition, MRCT offers a defined contribution pension scheme, private health insurance, a flexible benefits scheme and 31 days paid holiday per year.
MRCT is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities in employment and encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects its commitment to equal opportunities for all.
It is MRCT's policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief.
To apply, please email your CV and covering letter explaining why you want to work for MRC Technology’s Technology Transfer division to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Recruitment, MRC Technology, Lynton House, 7-12 Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9LT (electronic applications preferred).